PILLCAM SMALL BOWEL CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY
To ensure the best results for your PillCam capsule endoscopy of the small bowel, follow your doctor’s instructions carefully and completely.
Day before the Capsule Endoscopy
- Start the prescribed liquid diet after lunch.
- Begin Clear liquid diet starting after lunch. You may consume the following : Water, Apple Juice, Pineapple Juice, White Grape Juice, and Grapefruit Juice (NO PULP), 7Up, Ginger Ale, Coffee or Tea with sugar and/or honey only (no milk or non-dairy creamers). Jell-O of any color except red, blue, or purple (in limited amounts only). Soups are permissible if clear broth only (no cream soups).
- Do not consume any liquids that are red or blue
- Do not eat or drink except for necessary medication with a sip of water 10 hours before the capsule endoscopy is scheduled to start.
Day of the Capsule Endoscopy
- Starting 3-4 hours prior to the capsule study, mix 7 packets or capfuls of Miralax with 32 ounces of water and drink 8 ounces every 15 minutes.
- Do not take any medication 2 hours before having the exam.
- Wear an upper garment of thin natural fiber such as a t-shirt that is long enough to reach at least to hip level and will not ride up above the belt.
- Arrive for your appointment at the scheduled time: ___________________
After Swallowing the PillCam SB Capsule
- The capsule endoscopy procedure will last approximately 8-9 hours. Contact your doctor’s office immediately if you suffer from any abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting during the procedure.
- You may drink colorless liquids starting 4 hours after swallowing the PillCam SB Capsule.
- Do not eat any solid food after swallowing the PillCam. After the examination is completed, you may return to your normal diet.
- Be sure the sensor belt is tight at the waist. Do not attach it to anything.
- Check the blue flashing Data Recorder light every 15 minutes to be sure it is blinking twice per second. If it stops blinking or changes color, note the time and contact your doctor.
- Use the supplied Capsule Endoscopy Event Form to note the time of any event such as eating, drinking or a change in your activity. Return completed Event Form to your doctor at the time you return the equipment.
- Avoid strong electromagnetic fields such as MRI devices or ham radios after swallowing the capsule until you pass it in a bowel movement.